stamped concrete

Old 04-19-13, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stamped concrete

Hello!

I have a stamped concrete pool deck that I installed about 12 years ago. A couple of years ago someone suggested that I apply concrete paint on it. It has started to peel and before I hire a contractor I was wondering the best way to get all the paint off and apply the proper stain to it. Is there a better way to get the paint off besides sand blasting? Are there chemicals that would do the job?
Thanks in advance for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-13, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
Pressure washing might be an option.

Old 04-20-13, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Pressure washing alone might work, if not use a paint stripper and then pressure wash. It will be messy!! Paint chips will fly everywhere so do your best to aim the wand away from the pool.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-30-13, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion to use a power washer. I rented a 5k psi washer and it worked quite well. It removed 90 to 95% of the paint. I like the "rustic" look of the bare concrete. What do you recommend that I do next? Can I leave it alone and apply a clear sealer to it? Thanks.

Old 04-30-13, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
You can leave it alone or apply a sealer. I prefer sealers that leave the concrete looking dry and not glossy. I think it looks more natural and is less slippery when wet. Technically if the concrete is proper a sealer is not needed but sealing can help protect it from water freezing and spalling the surface.