foundation help

Old 04-19-13, 05:11 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
foundation help

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but what the heck. I bought a house in the city about a year ago , it was build in 1951 and the foundation is a few inches below ground level. It seems in an effort to keep water away from the foundation the previous owners raised the grade a few inch above the siding, I'm no expert but I think that's a big no no.

In these pictures you can see where I've been digging as well as the old flower box they had there. I removed the bottom piece of siding to get a better look at everything.
imgur: the simple image sharer

It seems a piece of concrete with wire mess on the back covers up the sill plate. My basic idea is to create a retaining wall out of 2x4's a foot away from the foundation. As for the foundation I'm thinking of removing the asphalt shingles cleaning the concrete and covering everything with Blueskin Wp 200 and than cover everything with a platon membrane.

So besides jacking up the house replacing the sill plate and adding to the foundation which I do not have the money for I'm looking for any decent temporary solutions to my major issue.

Old 04-20-13, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure those are asphalt shingles under the vinyl siding? They look more like asbestos shingles. Asbestos is a health hazard when in dry powder form - where the dust can be inhaled. As long as it's wet and the debris contained/removed it shouldn't pose a health risk. You need to check locally to find out the regs on disposal. Some locales treat it like common waste while others require special handling and disposal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: