Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

The bolts are rusting that connect my aluminum railings to my front cement steps

The bolts are rusting that connect my aluminum railings to my front cement steps

Old 04-20-13, 06:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The bolts are rusting that connect my aluminum railings to my front cement steps. How can I fix this? Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  40.4 KB

Last edited by Joseph Wherry; 04-20-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 10:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

More than likely there are lead shields drilled into the masonry below those brackets.

Those bolts you are looking at are probably just plain steel lag bolts.

You could replace them with stainless or galvanized lag bolts. Take one out as a sample.
My guess is 3/8" x 3-1/2"

Old 04-25-13, 11:08 AM
J
I pulled a couple bolts out. They appear too have a unique thread? Do you know what kind of thread this is? Also, can a rust free bolt be painted?

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-13, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's what I would call a hi low thread. Usually found on masonry fasteners like TapCons.
A hole is drilled into the masonry and that bolt cuts its own threads.

TapCon fasteners are great but in my opinion not the best type of fastener for a railing into masonry. I would definitely use a lead type expansion shield and a stainless steel lag bolt.

If what you are currently using is holding than I'm sure you could just repaint the bolt heads. It would probably be best to fully clean the head, reinstall the bolt and then paint it so the paint doesn't chip off from the wrench. Rustoleum paint should work well for that application.

Old 04-26-13, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I believe they are called LDT, by Redhead, or Large Diameter Tapcons. I still think lead anchors and stainless bolts will cure the problem, however.

Old 04-26-13, 06:14 PM
J
Does paint stick to stainless bolts?

Old 04-26-13, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes....might need to rough them up a bit and clean with a solvent (which won't hurt the stainless ability but would impact a galv bolt) and use oil based primer and paint. If your rails are black...Rustoleum make a very good hammered finish paint that says it doesn't need primer. They have it in other colors but it isn't normally carried at stores.

Old 04-27-13, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Paint doesn't adhere well to shiny/slick stainless so roughing it up is a must! Personally, I'd either clean up and paint what you have or switch to stainless and never worry about painting it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: