What to do with stripped stamped concrete

Old 04-23-13, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with stripped stamped concrete

About 7 years ago I had some stamped concrete poured. The color was applied afterwards, if I remember well, in powder form to give it a slate like finish. It was sealed with a high luster, wet look (not my favored ) finish. After about 4 years it needed to be refinished and I applied Behr Low Luster sealant.
It looked OK for a couple of years and then it started to look “dirty” to the point where I started to strip the concrete in the fall of last year. During the process it also took some of the color away. So it looks kind of bland right now.
I’ve heard that there are some kind of colored penetrating sealers that one pours on and then wipe it in. Sometimes 2 tones of color are used to give it a more natural look. Has anyone worked with a product like that?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 10:26 AM
do an internet search for a product called Perma-Tique from Butterfield Color. It re-antiques older stamped concrete in need of refurbishing. It's water based and simple to use. In addition, it's very inexpensive. I've used it myself several times.

Old 04-23-13, 08:51 PM
Do you happen to know if the product also seals the concrete?

Old 04-24-13, 11:23 AM
It does not. It's simply an antiquing product and should be sealed afterwards.

Old 04-24-13, 12:02 PM
Thank you for the info. Are you a professional? I.o.w. is it relatively easy to apply without looking amateurish? I have a 2 sq ft corner I could use it on to experiment. And what do you use as sealant and how frequent do you have to strip that? The area I'm talking about gets full sun the better part of the day. As I indicated in my original post I don't like the "wet" look. Prefer a more natural flat look.

I know, I know, a lot of questions but this is something I really don't want to do every 5 years or have it done for that matter.

Old 04-24-13, 04:55 PM
Actually, a light 'tune-up' on stamped, colored concrete every 5 years is not unreasonable. You'll probably spend much more time washing/waxing your car(s) than you'll spend on your concrete, in the same time-frame, all in an effort to keep things looking nice.

Old 04-25-13, 08:10 AM
A light tune up to make things look nice and neat is what I'm after, but I'm trying to avoid having to strip it every 5 years or so because the sealant turns dirty yellowish. The stripping has been a bigger job than I thought it would be.

Old 04-25-13, 08:42 AM
I am a professional, but this is an easy product for anyone to apply. For more of a matte finish, seal it with a water based acrylic concrete sealer. With ANY acrylic concrete sealer you're probably looking at recoating every couple of years, especially in direct sun. Usually in that time the sealer degrades or wears awy enough that stripping isn't necessarily needed. Each case is different though, so it's something you would have to determine yourself by observation.
On a related note, just because your stamped concrete isn't as dark and shiny as it was when new, that doesn't mean that it needs to be recoated with sealer. The glossy, vibrant colors you see in ads and photo albums are because the photos were taken right after sealing, so the stamped concrete looks awesome. That's the best it will ever look. Because acrylic sealer deteriorates relatively quickly, the color will soon look duller than it did when fresh. Expect it. Resealing when the sealer is gone will bring it back to like-new appearance. Avoid cheap acylic sealers that contain styrene. That's what causes sealer to amber. Sealers containing pure 100% acrylic stay clear but cost more.

Old 04-25-13, 04:39 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. I will follow the instructions and see what happens. At least right now I'm basically starting from square one. All the sealant is gone so I'm not in a quandry where I have to put good sealant over mediocre stuff.