cement block Retaining wall

Old 05-01-13, 07:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cement block Retaining wall

i am thinking of having someone install a 4 row high 8 X 8 X 16 cement block retaining wall that is 22 feet long with one corner and then 10 feet around my front yard the contractor States that he will install a 2 inch traffic bond base below the wall and fill the blocks holes with 1 inch gravel will this wall last for any length of time ?

Old 05-02-13, 07:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
You did not mention anything about a footer or foundation for the wall. A rigid wall like that will need a proper footer especially in your climate. I'm not familiar with a "traffic bond base" but if he's talking about a crushed stone footer I don't think that's appropriate for a rigid masonry wall. And, I don't see how filling the blocks with crushed stone will help or hurt other than to add some weight. Generally this is what I think of for block walls like you describe.

Old 05-02-13, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would consider using segmental retaining wall block instead of conventional block. Much stronger than conventional block and better looking.

No concrete footings required since they are set on a compacted soil base and the molded keys lock then together and eliminate the rock fill that is not as effective. - No mortar either.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: