Wood in concrete foundation - what is this?!

Old 05-06-13, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood in concrete foundation - what is this?!

Our new home is built on a concrete foundation. Nowhere around the property except in the back corner do I see wood in the foundation. There are 4 (4X4?) wood beams equally spaced IN the foundation only in this corner and down into the ground, and rotted at the bottom where the dirt was touching them. Can someone tell me what I'm looking at? Why would it be built like this - seems to me this is a termite invitation? Like a special termite highway straight into the house haha. Any suggestions?Name:  woodinfoundation.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  45.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Are you sure the whole house was built at one time? It kind of sounds like the back portion was built like a pole barn and then later concreted in.

Old 05-06-13, 03:05 PM
I guess I can't be certain of that but there is 2 floors above where I took that picture that were definitely always there. The portion just above it is considered a "finished basement" on the parcel information and it definitely has concrete under the floor, not wood. The ground on that side of the house is about 4 foot lower than the "finished basement" floor so the foundation is sticking out quite a bit on that side below the level of the house. The garage is down at the same level as the ground. The house is basically tiered at 4 different levels, I can't see that any of it would of have been done later but who knows. I attached another pic. The corner in question is the rear on the right side there. Name:  house.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  39.2 KB

Is it something to be concerned about with bugs etc? I always hear to keep dirt away from the wood/siding so this concerns me a bit. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-13, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You never want wood to have ground contact in a house. You either need to move the dirt from the wood or replace the wood with masonry.

I didn't see the 4x4s when I looked at the pic yesterday Is it possible they are beams that hold up the structure in some way? Definitely out of the ordinary.

Old 05-07-13, 04:49 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Possible these were used to stabilize a form before the concrete was poured to make the footer/foundation and then they were left in place. Need to determine if these continue up into the structure and are part of the support, or if they terminate with the baseplate of the building. How old is the building? Even PT Lumber will give out over time.

Old 05-09-13, 03:28 PM
Well they're definitely up under the wood siding. The house was built in 1983