Brick separating from siding - is this major?

Old 05-14-13, 04:10 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick separating from siding - is this major?

I am considering buying this house (built in the 1960's). It is a really good price and it is in pretty good condition except for these areas where the brick is separated from the siding. This really makes me nervous and I don't know how big of a deal it is. Could this be easily/cheaply repaired or would it be a major project? Is it an indicator of a greater underlying problem with the home's structure?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
At first glance, it looks like maybe the brick was added as an "improvement" after the fact. If the brick has no cracks in the mortar, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. One way to cosmetically fix it, would be to cut the siding back and insert a trim board that would cap the end of the siding... then you'd apply a trim on top of that to cap the back edge of the brick.

On the bottom picture, it would be similar. Cut the siding back just far enough that you could slip a trim board between the brick and the siding. You might grind the back side of the cap and make a notch in it so that it's inline with the rest of the brick. That way you wouldn't need to notch your trim board, and you'd have a nice straight line to caulk.