Cracks in Concrete Foundation Caused By Demolition

Old 05-20-13, 11:10 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracks in Concrete Foundation Caused By Demolition

My home suffered a fire loss last year. The cost to refurbish it would have cost more than building new so my insurance company paid to have the home demolished and rebuilt on the existing concrete foundation.

The builder hired a demolition crew that used a large excavator for the job. During the demolition the excavator ran over the front foundation wall countless times, since the bucket was unable to reach the back half of the house.

The tracks severely wore down the top of the foundation and most importantly, the weight of the excavator caused the foundation to crack right through in places. After a number of conversations with the builder they finally agreed to dig the earth from around the cracks in order to apply tar and a waterproof membrane over the cracks (at first the builder told me over the phone, without having ever seen the cracks, that they were not a problem and suggested they be left alone).

I later discovered that there were additional cracks along the same wall that the excavator drove over. The main floor had already been framed and it was impossible to see the top of the foundation anymore to determine if the crack went entirely through. However, I found a photo of the crack (I had accidentally taken the photo shortly after the demo when I was taking pictures of the basement - I snapped a photo when my camera was pointing straight down at the ground).

I've attached many photos of the demolition where you can see that the excavator was working directly over top the foundation wall. The last few photos show the crack that they waterproofed and the very last photo shows the one crack that I found later on.

That particular crack runs along the foundation beside my front steps (a couple feet to the right from where the right track was rolling over the wall). The builder and the insurance company have decided to not deal with that crack. At first they said that it probably didn't go right through the wall and wouldn't leak. Then after I found the photo they stated that it is impossible to know whether the crack was actually caused by the demolition. After some back and fourth the builder says they'll guarantee that the crack won't leak for as long as I own the home.

I'm not satisfied with the decision. I'm positive that the crack is a result of their failure to adequately protect the foundation during the demo (which was clearly a stipulated requirement of the insurance company's bid specs). The excavator operator placed a pile of debris over the foundation prior to driving over it, but that clearly wasn't adequate. At least in my mind.

I've had several issues with this build. The cracked foundation being the first. I have another post on this forum about the stucco installation.

Anyway, because of all my problems I want to pursue this further. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem, or a similar problem? I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

Attached Images           
Old 05-21-13, 06:35 AM
P
The only thing I will say is that if the crack had been there a long time, it would all be discolored instead of being clean inside and where the surface popped off. Looks new to me.

Old 05-25-13, 07:33 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Did you contract with the builder or is he working fo the insurance company?

Old 05-28-13, 06:41 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Call the building inspector in to investigate.

Old 05-28-13, 12:42 PM
T
From a purely structural aspect, I don't think that crack would be a problem, particularly when the weight of the house is on it, providing a degree of lateral restraint. Water penetration might be an issue, though that can be fixed.

HOWEVER, I can understand your concerns 100%, because it isn't 'right'. If you sell the house, some surveyor will pick up on it and it would undoubtedly depress the value.

Perhaps your best option would be to pay for a proper report by an SE. If all else fails, could you have a brick skin built in front of it?

Old 05-30-13, 01:35 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it were mine, epoxy injection of any and all cracks would be ordered. Paid for by the "builder," of course. Using a moisture-insensitive, low-modulus epoxy would work best.

If interested, I have the name and contact info of a good concrete rehab outfit in Canada that could help. PM me for details.

Old 05-30-13, 06:51 AM
P
I agree with Bridgeman. Epoxy injection

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: