Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Do I have recourse against the concrete company for cracked/shattered concrete?

Old 06-03-13, 01:54 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Concrete was just poured a few days ago, and already there are crack lines everywhere and parts have shattered. I'm being told this is because the concrete was too hot. We had 2 truck deliveries that day. I'm told the second truck arrived a couple hours too early, due to a scheduling mistake, and because it had to sit in the sun while the first truck was being unloaded, the concrete in the second truck got too hot.

I understand it is the nature of concrete to crack, and there are things we can do to minimize cracking. We packed the ground, we laid base rock, and used rebar. The pour was about 4 inches thick. These cracks and the shattering appeared immediately, and I'm being told because the concrete was too hot, and that's because the truck came too early and sat in in the sun.

Do I have just cause for a refund from the concrete company for providing me with damaged concrete because the concrete was too hot because the second truck came too early?

Old 06-03-13, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If you have anything saying when the delivery was scheduled...they MIGHT refund your concrete cost for the second load....but I highly doubt it. It is up to you (as the concrete contractor I assume) to have enough people on-site to get the work done. If you did and planned your deliveries accordingly, when the second truck showed up early, you should have sent him back to the plant and made sure you weren't just getting the same load when the truck returned at the correct time. I think it's called a plant or mix ticket?

I'll bet if you look at your signed ticket that it basically says you are responsible. I'm surprised the driver waited that long w/o additional charges. I'll bet he called the plant and they said..."don't charge him extra if he still wants the load after 3 hours."

If this was done by a concrete company that you hired...then they are to blame.

Old 06-03-13, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I ordered a load for a wall pour once. Only needed one truck. Well, in 15 minutes, he was there. The plant was more than 30 minutes away so I questioned him about it. He said his boss told him to deliver it. He was waiting to make a pour on the highway for the DOT, and was running out of time on the load, so the boss switched his load to me. I asked the driver if he thought is was too hot, and he was honest and said yes. I sent him back to the plant with a few words for his boss and ordered from elsewhere.

The contractor is responsible for the load and has to question all of them, timing, location, everything.

Old 06-04-13, 06:41 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
were any crack control joints placed in the concrete, or were you expecting the rebar and packed ground to keep it from cracking? (those measures alone will not prevent cracking, joints are still needed). How long after placement did the concrete start to crack, and did anyone take a temperature reading on the concrete after it sat in the truck for that long?
The contractor or whoever paid for the load is ultimately responsible. They should have known better than to pour a hot load. Who made the scheduling screw-up, the concrete plant or whoever ordered the concrete?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: