Patching concrete before staining

Old 06-14-13, 09:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching concrete before staining

WE have decided to acid stain our concrete in the house. There are a couple of issues.

1) When we took up the carpet, it left several little holes where the tackboard was.

2)There are 2 or 3 cracks in the slab. My wife thinks that could be a problem if we decide to sell the house at some point.

What is the best way to fill those cracks and little holes before staining?

Do I need to put color in the concrete so it will match the old concrete better?

I am going to be using a concrete sander on all of it before I start to smooth out some lines from mastic in the area that was tiled.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-13, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cracks in residential concrete slabs are not unusual, because concrete likes to crack. You could seal the cracks with a cementitious product, after blowing/vacuuming out all of the concrete dust that will fill them while you're sanding. As far as recommending a decent product to use for filling the cracks and tack strip nail holes, I'd talk with a technical rep at a local masonry supply places. I'm sure you aren't the first person looking for such a product, and they should know what works well, sticks well and will take stain similar to your surrounding concrete. If it were mine, I'd go out of my way to create additional distressed areas in the concrete (with random chips and small spalls, filled with the same product you'll use on the cracks and nail holes), to give it some character while taking away from the linear look of the tack strip holes.

Old 06-19-13, 07:56 AM
W
I would agree with you about the cracks, but my wife is afraid that others who don't know that slabs crack will see it as a negative if we go to sell. I wonder if a slurry that I use to fill in pin holes when I made concrete countertops would work.

Old 06-19-13, 09:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I don't know what will work best for patching but whatever you use - it's not likely it will stain the same as the surrounding older concrete

Old 07-03-13, 08:25 AM
W
That is what I'm worried about. I don't want it to be blatantly obvious that I repaired cracks. I can try to hide them as I stain it, but I really want it to look natural. Is there not a way to tint some kind of patching compound to try and make it look right? I'm still a couple of weeks from staining because I have some more tile to get up and I decided to take the popcorn ceiling off while I have the floor in a mess. I have hated it since the day we moved in and it's going away!! I'm doing a hand brocade like I did in my bathroom remodels. Anyway, any ideas on the concrete?

Old 07-03-13, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
At the risk of repeating myself (see Post No. 2), you need to contact a local tech rep in the business of selling concrete products. A good one I did a lot of business with when serving my 25-year sentence with the NM DOT was Concrete Systems, on Richmond south of Candelaria in Albuquerque. They sold a lot of concrete repair and surface finishing products, and would know what will work best for you.