Best way to cut out a circle in a flagstone patio.

Old 06-18-13, 06:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to cut out a circle in a flagstone patio.

I have a flagstone patio in my backyard. The flagstones pieces are individually laid in a bed of small bluestone. It is not mortared in. I plan on installing a fire pit on the patio. I made a template of the firepit. My thoughts were to lay the template over where I would like the fire pit. From there I would need to cut some of the flagstone and I would install the fire pit. My question, what is the best way to cut the flagstone. Please keep in mind, this is a circular fire pit. Thanks for the advice!

PS: Once the firepit is installed, I will be putting mortar where the fire pit brick meets the flag stone.
THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-13, 07:05 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
About the only way a DIY can do it is with a 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a diamond wheel.

Old 06-18-13, 07:17 PM
S
Ok, luckily it's not a lot of cutting. Any other advice. Thanks!

Old 06-18-13, 07:18 PM
Since it is a small radius cut, that would be the obvious.

On paving jobs like curved driveway, parking lots with curved edges, many paver contractor set the smaller pavers, draw a cut line and then use a gas powered blade saw. Same for herringbone or similar patterns even with straight edge lines. Edging materials are put in later and the sanded and/or vibrated.

Dick

Old 06-18-13, 07:30 PM
S
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I will pick up a 4 1/2 blade and take my time. Thanks!

Old 06-21-13, 06:12 PM
S
Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 4768
Size:  51.2 KB
Just wanted to update the thread. The angle grinder with a Dewalt blade worked beautifully. Thanks.

PS: Besides poured concrete, any advice for a base? I recall when I had a walkway installed a few years ago, they used "dry pack". Any advice? THANKS!

Old 06-23-13, 07:37 PM
S
SO, I decided that I'm going to leave the base blue stone(dust). Ideally for the first course of the pit, I Wold like to set them so they are firm and level. Should I use cement, concrete, mortar? I'm so confused. Thanks!