pool deck repair help

Old 06-24-13, 08:57 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question pool deck repair help

I have an poly pebble pool deck that is gradually coming apart. I'm constantly tracking pebbles into the house and the deck is tough on the feet. Living in Florida the state flower mold and mildew is imbedded in the deck cleaning with pressure washer just blasts more pebbles out. I have used Chattanooga poly pebble sealer but its very watery stuff and does not stop the pebbles from coming loose plus its gotten crazy expensive. Any ideas on how to stop this problem? I have been told I need to tear out the old deck and put a cool krete deck down which costs 5K plus to have it done. Anyone have experience or suggestions on DIY to save$.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-13, 10:17 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Of course it's just my opinion, but I think whoever invented that epoxy-mixed-with-pebble system should be forced to have it installed at his own home. That would be a worse punishment than jail time.
I've seen a lot of jobs done with it, but none that have lasted. It's much worse up here in freeze/thaw country than in Florida or other warmer climates.
I would have someone remove the pebbles/epoxy and overlay the concrete with a kool Deck type product (if the concrete is sound). I know it's not DIY, but some things just aren't. Sorry. If the company who installed it is still in business, call them and have them come out and recoat. Unfortunately, a lot of these guys come and go quickly.

Last edited by Pecos; 06-24-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 11:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
UV (sunlight) is one of the few enemies of epoxy. They've gotten better with UV inhibitors but eventually the sun always wins.

I did some quick searching online and found several companies that recommend periodically reapplying resin. "Occasional overcoating may be necessary depending on degree of wear and the intensity of sunlight. No stones are usually added..."