mold on foundation

Old 06-27-13, 05:26 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mold on foundation

First I want to thank all who have answered my questions in the past. This is a great fourm!

My new question is this....i have a few area's around my home that the outside of the foundation makes contact with above ground soil. These area's are shieilded from sunlight therefore some 'green' substance is forming at the 'soil' level. If i dig down there is nice clean concrete (less covered with dirt). and of course above this it is clean...(just seems to form along the line of the grade)

My question is....is this mold? and if so what can i use to clean it off.

I was thinking concentrated vinegar...just basically spray it on and hopefully will kill the mildew..(?)

any thoughts on other products or am i on the right track with the vinegar?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I don't know how well vinegar works with mildew but bleach does a great job. Dilute the bleach about 50% with water and spray or brush it on, let it work and then rinse. Flooding any surrounding vegetation with water before, during and after should negate any harmful effects from the bleach.

Old 06-27-13, 08:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@marksr

thank you for the reply. You wrote:

Flooding any surrounding vegetation with water before, during and after should negate any harmful effects from the bleach.

The bleach should not hurt the concrete correct? your comment is to ensure the grass/plants don't die from the bleach?

In some of my area's i could get away with spraying on this bleach/water combo without rinsing it off...or it is advisable to rinse it off?

Old 06-27-13, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I've never seen concrete harmed by cleaning it with bleach. Vegetation can be killed by bleach, hence the recommendation to dilute it as it gets on it and keep it well rinsed! Wetting the vegetation down before the bleach run off hits it, further dilutes the bleach.

I've always rinsed off the bleach as it can cause issues with any coating applied over it when not rinsed. If you don't plan to paint, it might be ok not to rinse but I don't know for sure