Securing a brick wall

Old 07-03-13, 12:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Securing a brick wall

Hi, I just purchased a house with the goal of remodeling it. The house is about 50 years old, brick veneer, wood studs, 1000 sq ft.

The first thing we did (yesterday) was to stabilize the foundation with 14 piers. Before the stabilization, the outer brick wall of the garage was leaning slightly; I could push on it with my hand and move it. This is a section brick about 19' by 8'. The foundation company was hoping that when they pushed the foundation back up, it would stabilize the wall, but that didn't happen. The wall is more stable ( I can't move it with my hands anymore), but it is still leaning outward. I'm assuming that a lot of the brick ties have corroded and come loose while it the brick was was loose for who knows how many years. Because of this, it's never going to be safe without some help.

What I'm thinking about doing is drilling holes through the mortar about every 4 feet, horizontally at the top of the wall, through the interior garage wall and through a 2x12 header that I'll stretch across the garage wall horizontally. I'll put long bolts through the bricks, garage wall, and header with a nut on the inside, and then slowly tighten the nuts, drawing the brick wall back up against the house and securing it. I'll do this at the top and the bottom of the brick wall.

Does this sound like it will work? (The other, expensive option is to just tear down the brick wall and put up siding.)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-13, 12:50 PM
Is the garage wall solid brick (8" thick) or is it a wood frame with brick veneer?

If it is a wood frame wall, is the brick separating from the wood? If so, the brick wall is not properly tied to the bearing wall with some sort of wall ties. The choice is to tear the brick of and use some e brick tied properly to veneer the wall or put up vinyl siding (ugh!) that will stand out like a sore thumb.

Dick

Old 07-03-13, 12:56 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I know next to nothing about brick wall construction. If the wall is leaning that means the base is not flat and level for some reason that needs to be discovered. I think that using your idea would create stresses on all the horizontal mortar joints and lead to catastrophic failure of the wall.

Old 07-03-13, 01:05 PM
J
It's a wood frame with brick veneer.

The wall has apparently been leaning for several years because the foundation was sinking. I'll try to post a picture, but a large (19' x 8') section of the brick veneer has become separated, i.e. broke at the mortar joints, and is leaning. I'll try to get a picture and post it.

I'm not too concerned with how it looks (within reason), but I am concerned about catastrophic failure and somebody getting hurt.

Old 07-03-13, 01:37 PM
If it is a veneer, it carries no load if it was built as a veneer for the wall. If it moving away from the studs, it was not tied to the loadbearing wall to meet the minimum standards of construction.

I have seen several situations where the wall becomes load-bearing if the intended bearing wall wood does not pick up the load because of shrinkage and veneer going to the top of the wall and the trusses or joints end up bearing on the wall. There are many possible combinations including the distortion of the jacking that could cause the problems. Jacking contractors and builders do not always treat a garage with the same standard of diligence as the home itself.

Dick