leaking foundation into garage

Old 02-14-01, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help. We have leak in our foundation into our garage. This side of the garage is lower than the rest of the house and yard. We have a flower bed that is next to this wall of the garage which is bound on the other three sides by our sidewalk and porch. The porch and sidewalk are the same level and the flower bed is a bit higher than this. The leak is coming from under the corner of the porch where it meets the front of the house and the garage. In other words, the water coming into the flower bed is saturating the dirt under the porch causing the leak into the garage through the foundation.

We just had someone out here to get an estimate on repairing this, and he gave two solutions: One, dig a trench along the garage wall to the edge of the porch in the garden and "waterproof it" with something he said would act like rubber to repel the water. He said he could then dig along the front edge of the porch and install a metal "pan" as he called it to keep the water from getting under the porch, thereby stopping the current leak. Or he could cut the porch and apply the waterproofing to the whole wall, including where the current leak is and then re-pour the porch. We need gutters, I know, but do these options sound like they could fix the immediate problem? Sorry this is so long and confusing. ANY thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-01, 10:49 PM
Waterproofing and diverting the source is a longer term solution. Although I am unable to see things from your eyes I think the solutions posed address the immediate problem. You won't like this idea, but hardscaping the planter with concrete might help. Think planter rings.

Old 02-15-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for your input. I agree with you about filling in the entire bed with concrete to make a patio, but we are likely to move soon and I think that is a fairly expensive venture. Thanks again, Susan