Asphalt crack filler not curing

Old 07-11-13, 04:44 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt crack filler not curing

I applied some asphalt crack filler to a crack in my asphalt driveway 9 days ago and the filler is still very soft. I used 2 different brands of filler in 2 different spots, and both are giving similar results. I used DAP Asphalt Sealant (DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® Blacktop Asphalt Filler and Sealant) and Black Knight Asphalt Driveway Crack Filler (I can't find a link for it anywhere. I got it at Canadian Tire, but it is NOT this one: Black Knight Asphalt Driveway Crack Filler | Canadian Tire).

I found the technical bulletin for the DAP product (here: http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00010007.pdf), and I realize that it does say that a full cure will take 2 - 4 weeks, but I find it weird that it is still pretty much as soft as it was just an hour after applying it. It has skinned over, and it did that within about an hour after applying it, but it's still so soft that I can easily shape it and puncture the skinned top to get to the un-cured stuff right below the surface.

I pressure-washed the crack very clean about a week before applying the filler, and then used compressed air to clean it out again immediately before applying the filler. Ever since I did the pressure washing it has been sunny and warm or hot (daytime highs of 22 to 34, nighttime lows of 15 to 20). So, it has been plenty warm, which I thought would allow for a quick cure.

So, is it normal for asphalt-based crack fillers to take this long to cure? Should I rip it out and put something else in?

Side note: I know that the fillers I used aren't the greatest quality or brands, but I happened to have them on hand and wanted to make use of them.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-13, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
I think you answered your own question when you quoted the 2-4 weeks. You can sprinkle it with clean silica sand or roll out some toilet paper over it if you are worried about someone stepping in it and tracking it around.

Old 07-12-13, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your statement of "I happened to have them on hand" might also be a clue--in that the products may be old, and have exceeded their recommended shelf life. I'd give them a few weeks, and if no signs of firming up, yank them and start over, this time with some fresh material.

Old 07-12-13, 02:40 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I figured I kinda answered it myself too, with the 2 - 4 week estimate. But that seems quite long, and I just wanted to see what kind of curing times other people have had when using asphalt-based crack fillers.

It was actually just the DAP stuff that I had on hand. It was probably 2 years old, but not sure because a neighbour gave it to me. The Black Knight stuff I bought new, but only because it was the most convenient thing to get.