Do I need to poor concrete below the frostline for Fire Pit?

Old 07-12-13, 10:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to poor concrete below the frostline for Fire Pit?

Hey,

I was looking to build a fire pit in my hard with nice stones and some fire bricks. The interior diameter of the pit would be roughly 36 inches.

Do I need to go below the frostline for this. I live in Wisconsin and I want the pit to last forever.

99% of the pits i see online just sit on top or have a small gravel base or a small concrete base, none of them have a base below the frostline.

I am not trying to build an ICBM silo here, but i would like something that lasts.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-13, 11:35 AM
B
common , someone answer

Old 07-12-13, 02:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
Is this going to be dry stacked or mortared together?

Basically you can go two different routes. Missile silo below the frost line so it does not move or you can allow it to go with the flow and move a bit with the changing seasons.

Old 07-12-13, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Going below your frost line for a fire pit is definitely overkill, IMHO. Placed on a well-draining 6" base of crushed gravel, any frost heave should be fairly uniform and probably quite negligible. Especially if you dry-stack the rocks.

And Billie--"poor" is the opposite of rich. "Pour" is what you do with concrete.

Old 07-16-13, 09:15 AM
B
Thanks Bridgeman.

English is my 3rd language so there is that .

the pit would be mortared together or put together using an adhesive. I saw online that people poor a base out of concrete first through.

Old 07-16-13, 09:42 AM
C'est domage, Monsier Billie . . . . .

Old 07-19-13, 08:58 AM
B
pas de probleme ponthomme.

Mais, peut-etre vous pouvez me dire...

the firepit will not be built with louse stone. With that in mind... do i need a base below the frostline?

also, if i were to poor a smaller footing... how do i get rebar to go into the circle shape?

Old 07-19-13, 10:20 AM
Enschuldegung, aber Ich verstehen Sie nicht jetzt. Ich lachen, weil Es ist die Erzahlung von mein Leben.

If the footing is strong enough to uniformly heave and settle with the seasons (without destroying itself), it doesn't have to be below the frost line. Especially if poured ("poored") on a base of well-draining gravel, to minimize frost heave in the first place. I personally would not dig a 6'-deep footing hole for a simple fire pit.

No. 4 rebar can be bent by placing it in a sturdy vice and exerting pressure on it by some pokes with a 3-lb. maul or with a cheater pipe, in increments. Moving it 2" or so with each slight bend, a curve to any desired radius can be approximated. If you don't have access to a vice (being a home owner, you should really have one, BTW, mounted on a stout work bench), rent a rebar bender from your local construction supply place. Or if you have a welder and the proper skills, you can fabricate one out of a length of pipe and a few chunks of steel scrap.

Il ny'a pas de quois (Bitte schoen).