Step height for a walkway (paver overlay on concrete)

Old 07-14-13, 12:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Step height for a walkway (paver overlay on concrete)

Hi guys,
I'm ready for phase 2 of my front walk. Clad the front steps with a Techo-Bloc product a while back and it turned out pretty good. Also just did the dry fit with the remnants to make a nice matching walkway to the sidewalk.

I had a mason come out for an estimate on the labor -- $4k for 150 sqft set and pointed along with finishing the grout on my steps (which I was planning on doing anyway, but why not). Guy was nice and seemed to know his stuff, but yikes. I just can't afford that now. So back to DIY I go.

The only way it works is if I build up for a step at the end. I was thinking 4" total, but I can go as high as 6" and still have plenty of fall for drainange and look natural. I hate having a step off the sidewalk, but that's really the only way. we were going to build up the planters around so it didn't seem abrupt and I think we can make it look nice.

So, for a single step -- what height would you all go?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 07-14-13, 08:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If it's just one step it can be whatever you want. Can you post some pics?

Old 07-15-13, 10:02 AM
A
Here's a decent one looking down the steps.

About a 2' drop from the landing to the sidewalk that is pretty steady except for the last 5' that gain a little slope (which is why a step wouldn't be too bad).

I also have an LED wall/step light for masonry installations that I can install so it shouldn't be a night trip hazard.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-13, 05:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
My parents had a house that had 2 steps, about 7 inches each between the sidewalk & the walk to the stoop. One six inch step should be fine, if that's what you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: