laying pavers along a a driveway that varies in slope angle

Old 07-17-13, 08:03 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laying pavers along a a driveway that varies in slope angle

We own a rental property with some very heavy wear issues by the driveway. Both tenants we've had so far have kept multiple cars, so they always park two vehicles in the driveway in front of the garage. As a result, they always walk on the grass to get to the front door, and the area in question has been completely killed off.

As you can see from the attached pictures, most of the wear is near the top. What I was going to do was lay the pavers in a 7' square at the the top, and have a 3' walkway extending down the side of the driveway to the sidewalk.

To solve the issue, I thought about taking a bunch of pavers I have sitting around at our home and placing them in the trouble spot. I've never laid pavers before, did my homework by reading a few books last night, and don't have an issue with how to do the job except for one problem. The driveway has a slope on it, and though it's only moderate at the top where most of the wear is to the side, about half way down the drive it takes a slight deviation to allow for the increase in slope down to the road. The difference between the two areas of the driveway is probably only a matter of five degrees or so, but it creates a problem for the pavers. Either I ignore the slight kink in the driveway and create a bed for the pavers that's completely flat, or I make the bed follow the kink in the driveway. If I go the first route, I end up leaving the slight angle of the driveway sticking up a bit from the pavers (perhaps an inch or so) thus creating a tripping situation. If I take the second option, then changing the angle of the bed to follow the driveway kink will leave the affected pavers along that live sticking up a little. Not sure what to do.

Another option might be to simply ignore the walkway down to the sidewalk and simply lay the 7' square at the top, which is where most of the wear is. The 7' section would be above the angle in the driveway, so I wouldn't have to worry about changing the angle of the pavers.

A last point. Is it really necessary to anchor the edges of the pavers with mortar or some kind of rail? Obviously on one side they're going to butt up against the concrete driveway. On the lawn side I was simply going to pack the earth back down really tightly, but having read the DIY books on the subject I'm now worried that someone stepping on an edge might make the brick tip up. The pavers, by the way, are 9.5" by 6.5".

Note - If you look at the top picture, you can see the join in the driveway where the angle changes slightly towards the road. The seven foot square are mentioned would stop just above the join.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-13, 08:58 AM
You can do almost anything with pavers if you have a good base AND and edge restraint (concrete, flexible steel or aluminum) or even spikes plastic. Without an edge, the paver joints can open up,wash out sand fill and become unstable.

Dick

Old 07-17-13, 07:27 PM
T
The edge restraint I get - in fact I found some today at one of the local garden centers that sells pavers. But the main concern is about changing the angle of the bed - can I do that without creating problems?