block foundation with brick veneer question

Old 07-19-13, 07:44 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
block foundation with brick veneer question

I'm building an addition with a block crawlspace foundation and would like a brick veneer for appearance sake. I understand the basic approach of creating a shelf with 12" block below grade transitioning to 8" to create the shelf for the brick. but heres what i don't get -- this will create a 12" wide foundation, and I need the siding to overlap the top outside edge of the brick. where do I position the 2X6" mud sill? does it straddle the brick and block? it seems then that the block is no longer supporting the load.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-13, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Install the 2 x 6 sill plates with their exterior edges located such that there's enough space for sheathing and at least a 1" air gap to the inside face of the bricks. If you're only going up partial-height with brick (instead of all the way to the soffits), a brick cap is usually used to transition from bricks to sheathing/siding. If you're trying to match the rest of the house, which based on your comment apparently has siding overlapping the brick veneer, you'll have to build out a "filler frame" to do so, using appropriate dimensions depending on the width of the bricks and air gap. Don't forget the flashing.

Old 07-19-13, 01:07 PM
G
excellent and perfectly clear thank you!

Old 07-20-13, 07:58 AM
G
so reflecting on this answer, i have one more take on the question. this is basically to cover up the block foundation from an esthetics standpoint, and the exposed foundation is just under 2', and for approximately half the total length since the other half will be covered by a wrap-around porch. and whats exposed will ultimately be fronted with landscaping. so not particularly prominent or visible. is there a simpler alternative in the "cultured" products like brick and stone that are applied like tile? how well do these products work? they seem to be getting better looking. of course cost is always a consideration!

Old 07-20-13, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That's something you'll have to evaluate yourself, by doing the appropriate research. I personally have just limited experience using thin fake bricks, and that was on an interior remodel job close to 40 years ago. Don't know how well today's products would resist exposure to UV and extreme weather conditions. Maybe someone else will chime in.