Garage floor resurface

Old 07-21-13, 08:41 AM
T
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Garage floor resurface

I'd like to resurface my 3 car garage concrete floor, attacked over the years with road salt, has quite a bit of pitting and is dusting. Is 1 1/2" concrete, fiber reinforced, a smart move? Or, do I need to go either thicker, or just maybe do SLC at maybe 1/2"? Existing appears stable, no settling, or cracks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-13, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unless the pitting is extremely heavy, and/or the surface is showing deep scaling, I'd be tempted to go the easy route and just give it a coat or two of quality, oil-based concrete enamel. A lot less work, and quite possibly just as effective at improving the look and performance of the floor. I have a 36' x 50' shop with a painted concrete floor, and it has held up well since installed (by previous owner) about 10 years ago. No signs of any paint chipping or coming loose, and it gets a lot of heavy use (including heavy vehicles and tractor tires with chains).

If you insist on going with an overlay, I have no experience with 1/2" SLC (not sure what it even is), but I've put down many thousands of square feet of concrete overlays, and they can perform very well when installed properly. Conversely, they can be very frustrating when done incorrectly, as in not staying bonded, or delaminating.

Old 07-21-13, 03:16 PM
T
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
I shortened self leveling concrete to SLC. My other reason for going taller is to give the door thresholds a lip, there is none now.

Old 07-21-13, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've poured self-leveling concrete, but never just 1/2" thick. And the stuff we used had 3/4" coarse aggregate, and was used for bridge pier cap widenings where no (top) form access was available. I'd be leery of a 1/2" overlay being susceptible to cracking and debonding.

Old 07-22-13, 08:15 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your garage floor is sloped, self-leveling concrete won't work. It would run to the low end by the garage door (or to a center drain if you have one). A trowelable overlay would work if you follow all directions to a "T" , especially the surface prep and mixing instructions.