beam support in new addition - what opposite beam pocket?

Old 07-21-13, 10:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
beam support in new addition - what opposite beam pocket?

I'm planning a block crawlspace foundation for an addition (18X18' centered on the side wall of the existing house), with a beam to support the first floor joists. the beam runs perpendicular to the existing wall, and i'm planning a beam pocket on the far wall, two posts in between on footings, but how do I support the end of the beam where it meets the existing wall? a block column on a footing? the existing wall it will abut is fieldstone and a bit irregular. thx!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-13, 01:18 PM
T
Why can't you just cut a pocket in the existing fieldstone wall?

Old 07-21-13, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For beam support, you'd be better supporting a short stub column on a separate footing at the fieldstone wall. Unless the wall is super-thick (greater than 18") and strong, with no sign of deterioration. The few experiences I've had with remodels on "slightly marginal" fieldstone foundations weren't particularly good ones--messy and time consuming, and it's difficult to make clean pocket cuts and removals without compromising the integrity of adjacent rocks you don't want disturbed. You're already going to be in there, pouring footings for your other support columns, so one more shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 07-21-13, 03:03 PM
G
excellent thanks and agree -- i'm wary of messing with the original foundation any more than i need to, and to your point i'll be pouring footings a few feet away. if the beam is 6"X 12" (2X2X12) what dimensions would you recommend for the stub column -- i assume from block? any particular type? apologies I'm no mason! and thanks again.

Old 07-21-13, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If your masonry skills are marginal (like mine), why not go the fast/easy route and use steel pipe columns with welded top and bottom steel bearing plates? With pre-drilled holes for securing to the footings and beam? If you have the ability and equipment, you could fab them yourself for not much more than the cost of concrete blocks. Or possibly even less than blocks if you use salvage steel.

Old 07-22-13, 07:18 AM
G
thank you was thinking along same lines as well. why not repeat center supports? thanks again all very helpful as usual in working thru solutions!