Help with driveway sealing needs

Old 07-25-13, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with driveway sealing needs

Hello. I recently purchased a house with an asphalt driveway. The driveway is several years old and in pretty good shape. I was thinking of getting it sealed so I called a asphalt contractor and got a cost. It seems very high and would like to do the work myself. The costs were $425 for 1 coat of sealant, $700 for 2 coats, $1k for rubberizing sides and seams, $275 for rubberizing some minor cracks. My driveway is about 2000 s.f. With about 300 l.f. of "sides". The cracking is about 50 l.f. I was planning to just get it sealed for a few hundred and now I have about a $2,0000 estimate. Do the "sides" and cracks really need rubberized?

Also, I am now considering doing it all myself, not afraid of work. However, I know nothing about this subject or the products to use. Is the "sides and seams" something I can do myself? What products are recommended? I have a home depot and lowes store close by. Also, how about a sealant, any recommendations? I may get the sealant done though that price seemed reasonable. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 01:52 AM
A few years ago I was in the same predicament. New home (to us), with an asphalt driveway that was on the verge of drying out. Had one outfit come by for a quote--they wanted almost $3000 for a 1600 S.F. area, with a few cracks to seal. Like you, I wasn't afraid of work, and decided to buy a 55-gallon drum of oil-based asphalt sealer from a local asphalt supply place. Spent a few hours sealing the cracks with rubberized asphalt (large caulking tubes are best if you have a bunch of cracks) from the local big box place after blowing the dirt out of them, and then about half a day applying the sealer with a rubber squeegee and short street broom. Spent less than $300 for everything. End of story.

P.S. I'd strongly recommend not using the water-based asphalt sealers. They don't last as long as oil-based (the stuff professionals usually use), and once used will usually require frequent resealing.

Old 07-26-13, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I've only sealed a few driveways but have a friend that is in the asphalt sealing business. A lot of the price is labor/profit. It's best to start out by pressure washing the driveway - be sure to leave plenty of time for the driveway to dry back out!! Many of the pros around here use the water based sealer but not what is sold at the big box stores, they buy it directly from the asphalt plant. Our local asphalt plant uses a water based mix instead of the old traditional petroleum base. The asphalt plant will sell the sealer to anyone that walks in but you must supply your own container.

Old 07-26-13, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the info. How do you handle the sides where it meets the grass and where the asphalt meets say concrete? Where my asphalt is higher than my grass, I do see it crumbling some.