Pouring a new concrete basement, level or sloped to floor drain?

Old 07-30-13, 10:34 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pouring a new concrete basement, level or sloped to floor drain?

Hey, im planning on finishing the basement. live in an old brownstone with a basement that is between 7'6" and about 6'6" on the opposite side. too low for code. The footers are more than 8' deep so I spent the last week breaking up the existing concrete floor, pulling out the old concrete and excavating some dirt to level it out. I'm going to move the floor drain to the other side of the basement where the furnace is, lay other rough in plumbing for the wet bar and bathroom, lay gravel and then poly and re pour a new basement floor. Then I'm going to lay down a Drycore subfloor and carpet/tile the basement.

Now My questions are,
1. should the floor drain be at the level of the concrete so water in the small space under the Drycore can make its way to the floor drain and incase of flooding it will make its way to the floor drain? Or should the top of the floor drain be at the level of the finished tile?
2. If so what grade do I need the concrete floor at so water moves to the floor drain?

The basement is crazy dry and have had no water issues...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 05:09 PM
C
If moisture is not an issue. The floor drains would be for overflow issues from failed plumbing fixtures and pipes. If this was to happen the drycore subfloor would not survive and would have to be replaced. I would recommend a floor drain at each plumbing location. Check out multi level drain systems that will capture water at the tile level but also at the slab so water would not pool under the subfloor. Typically minimum 1/8" -1/4" meets fall requirements. Also check with Drycore, I have seen water/vapor barrier installed over drycore system as underpayment for finish floor.
Hope this helps

Old 08-05-13, 12:31 PM
N
Thanks for your help. So I can't find a multilevel drain anywhere but I had another question for you. If I was to place a floor drain under the Drycore on the slab but it doesn't see much water the water, how would the trap stay full?

Old 08-05-13, 07:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You would have to fill it yourself. However, I had a drain in a bathroom that I built & there was never an odor from the drain being dry.