Driveway needs help :( --- 3/4 ASPHALT. 1/4 CONCRETE.. what to do?

Old 07-31-13, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway needs help :( --- 3/4 ASPHALT. 1/4 CONCRETE.. what to do?

Hi all,

Made a mistake by having my carpenter pave my driveway. It was an asphalt driveway before, because there was water, flooding into the basement, my carpenter recommended getting rid of the flowerbeds and sealing the perimeter of the house with concrete. This is the outcome of that (Please see screenshot).

My carpenter suggested using a asphalt sealer and covering the entire driveway, so there wont be any color difference. However, base on my research online it isnt such a good idea covering asphalt sealers on concrete, it just wont last.

It looks horrible now, what can i do to make the whole driveway evenly color coated? Base on what I know, concrete sealers come in gray or clear color, and asphalt sealers are black.

Or should I just pave asphalt over the concrete and then have asphalt sealers cover the entire driveway.

Would appreciate any help that you guys can give, spent quite a bit on house renovation already, and this issue is giving the family a headache.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-01-13 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed pictures per OP request
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.....the cement and the asphalt do indeed clash.

Normally to control water and move it away from the house you just pitch the surface away from the house. The asphalt could probably have been used right to the house.

The hard part with the two products is to get a neat seam. I think if I was going to fix that I would remove the cement and replace it with asphalt.

Let others offer their spin on it.

Old 07-31-13, 06:02 PM
Already spent quite a bit on concrete already
Would hate seeing money flushing down the drain

Old 07-31-13, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Personally I do not think it looks that bad. Considering what materials have been used, it was likely the best outcome at the lowest cost.

One thing I do see it you need some control joints cut in the concrete. There are two types of concrete, cracked, and going to crack. You need the grooves to control where it cracks.

A couple of ideas come to mind:

While cutting the control joints, try to cut a neater edge in the asphalt (which should have been done in the first place IMO)

Cut out the seam between the asphalt and concrete about 3-4" wide and pour a strip of colored concrete. Or get some bricks and put them between the two materials.

I think if you just make a neat looking seam, it will look more on purpose than a mistake.

Old 07-31-13, 06:52 PM
Do you think its too late now? its been more than 24 hours since concrete was poured.

I actually am thinking of laying asphalt directly over the concrete. If so, how thin can i go? considering there's concrete below already. I heard that if im to put asphalt over concrete, there is a adhesive that I need to apply over the concrete first, do you know where i can purchase that?

Old 07-31-13, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
No, its not tool late. The concrete is hard so all you need to do is rent a concrete saw. It will cut it like butter.

Bad thing about asphalt is a home owner can't really DIY it. You need equipment to move it around and compact it. I would assume you can put it on top of concrete as I see road crews do it all the time. I would suspect you would have to go about 2".

One other option I thought of is using that new heavy deck/concrete paint from the Big Orange store. You could just tape off into the asphalt for a neat line and paint the concrete and the seam.

Old 07-31-13, 08:27 PM
Do you have a direct link to the heavy deck/concrete paint? that will be helpful.

Old 07-31-13, 09:45 PM
Group Moderator
It's a Rust-oleum product.

Rust-Oleum Restore » Deck & Concrete Restore

Old 07-31-13, 09:53 PM
How do i make the color to match so the seam doesn't show?
Should i use that paint for the entire surface of the driveway?Asphalt and concrete?

Old 07-31-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
The product is fairly new. It's very thick so I'm sure it'll fill the crack but I'm not sure about putting it over asphalt. A small amount at the seam would probably be ok.....but the entire driveway may not be wise. You would have to check with the paint guys at Big Orange or contact Rust-oleum directly.

Old 08-01-13, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I'd be leery of using any type of paint coating where there is tire traffic - I would expect it to fail in short order My memory is a little rusty by I think concrete needs to cure for 30 days before any paint type coatings are applied. I don't know that I'd trust any advice given at a big box store but contacting the manufacture of whatever coating you intend to use would be a great idea.

Personally I think if you straighten out the edge between the concrete and asphalt, the difference between the 2 will be acceptable. You might want to use a 2x for a guide so you can cut a straight line with the saw. Concrete can also be cut with a masonry blade in a skil saw but the blades don't last as long and the dust is hard on the saw.

Old 08-01-13, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
I was reffering to the Behr product "Deck Over" BEHR PREMIUM DECKOVER®| Concrete Paint | Old Wood & Deck Paint | DeckOver | Behr Paints It is not a thick/textured as the Rust-oleum stuff but is still pretty heavy.

My thought was to put over the concrete because that was not a driveway before anyway, it was flower beads. I was thinking cut a shallow groove (1/4") in the asphalt just past the seam. Then paint the concrete and seam up to the cut to camouflage it.

I recommend only using a diamond blade in the saw, rented or your own. Use a light spray from a hose to keep the dust down. Just a slow trickle is enough. Make sure you plug the saw into a GFCI protected outlet!

Old 08-01-13, 05:37 PM
After much discussion with my family, we have decided to lay asphalt over the concrete and overlay the entire surface of the driveway with asphalt sealer.

Concrete was just poured yesterday, should i let it cure before putting asphalt over it, or does it not matter?

Old 08-01-13, 08:43 PM
The asphalt overlay will de-bond from the concrete in a short period of time, as it will be out-gassing water vapor as it cures. Unless you give it a month or so to fully cure, you can plan on doing the overlay a second time, paying a premium to cover the cost of removing all of the loose asphalt. Also, you should expect the asphalt pavement to fail sooner than when exposed to traffic, as most bituminous mixes become more permeable when not loaded.

Make sure the asphalt outfit doesn't skimp on applying tack coat.

Old 08-02-13, 11:31 AM
I guess ill have the driveway done after a month or so after the concrete is cured. Just had a contractor quoted the 1000 sqft driveway. Overlaying 1" - 1 and 1/2" asphalt for $2300.

Does that sound about right? Pretty good reviews on angieslist for this company.

Also, there is no mention of applying a liquid above the concrete to bond the two together. What is the liquid call, do you know?

Old 08-02-13, 02:34 PM
If he's the only possible source in your area, and comes with excellent references, the price could be OK. However, you'd do better to get another quote from someone who knows what asphalt tack coat is, and uses it to ensure good bond between his overlay and both the concrete and asphalt pavement underneath.