Long crack in garage where the floor meets the wall- best way to fix this?

Old 08-03-13, 02:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Long crack in garage where the floor meets the wall- best way to fix this?

Hi guys,

I've noticed this crack along my garage floor. It's where to wall meets the concrete floor:

What's the best way to fill in this crack? Will any regular repair concrete mix do, or is there a better product to use? We're planning on selling our home, so it'd be great if we could have this ugly-looking crack fixed. The depth of the crack looks quit deep, as well.

You'll also notice a white, latex-like paint that's peeling off in the photos. What is that stuff? And should we be repainting it, as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-13, 04:53 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That cracks suppose to be there. The walls where built and the slab was pored after.

Old 08-03-13, 08:03 PM
M
Whoh. Really? Well, I guess that's good to hear.

However, there's this white, latexy-stuff on it that's peeling off. It looks like it was there during the original home construction. What is that stuff? I was thinking of re-painting over it just for aesthetic reasons.

Old 08-04-13, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Someone probably used caulk on the crack and it gave way. I would use either an elastomeric sealant or butyl rubber after you clean the area thoroughly, if you want to seal it up. It's not like snakes will be entering the crack or anything, as it is a normal separation at different planes of structure.

Old 08-04-13, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Caulking that crack is the norm, anything non flexible will fail sooner or later. I'd paint it with whatever paint you used on the walls. Not knowing what's on the walls, white or offwhite latex paint applied to the concrete below the drywall should do ok.