how to seal between parging and sidewalk

Old 08-03-13, 09:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to seal between parging and sidewalk

Hello,

Just bought an older house (1905), so this is probably the first of many posts .

We had a heavy rainstorm today and I noticed a small amount of water leaking into the unfinished basement (not down the walls, but coming out by the floor). I looked outside and where the parging meets the sidewalk there is some separation (about 1/8 of an inch). It looks like they used to be connected and the separation is now a crack. How do I seal this gap/separation? I thought about using concrete, but I imagine over time it would crack again as the house/parging/sidewalk continues to settle.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-13, 04:44 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Go to any box store in the area where the masonry supply's are sold. There should be some caulking there.
Red Devil 10.1 oz. Masonry and Concrete Repair Caulk-0646 at The Home Depot
Little late now but that wall should have been water proofed long before any sidewalk went in and the side walk should have been sloped away from the foundation.

Old 08-04-13, 11:24 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@joecaption1,

thanks for the help, the sidewalk does slope away from the house. i highly doubt that before the sidewalk was put in (~2008) they dug down the wall (10' to the footer) and waterproofed. i've attached a picture of exactly what i'm trying to seal. the home depots near me do not carry the product you listed, I bought "Sikaflex 29 fl. oz. Grey Self-Leveling Sealant". I understand self leveling might not work as the crack might go deep, we'll see. thanks again for the help.

Old 08-05-13, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The black, flexible pipe visible in the background of the photo might be a clue to your water problems. If you are dumping downspout runoff too close to the house, it could be migrating under the sidewalk and working its way down along the foundation walls and appearing in the basement. Extending any such pipes farther away from the house could be the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: