Brick Wall removal?

Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick Wall removal?

I have a house that was built in the 50's and an addition was put on in the 70's. The 50's part was built with two layers of brick. The outside and the inside layer of brick was not really fastened together except for where some mortar had seeped from one layer to another. the older part has a basement which is also the two layers of brick so basically I have a square or rectangle with two layers of brick from top to bottom. The outside layer is not decorative it has stucco covering it. I am removing the inside layer down to the joists and replacing it with 2x6 walls. the reason being is moisture is leaking in and causing mold and I wanted wood construction rather than the brick as well as not losing any living space. sorry this is kind of off track but I wanted to give some background info.

I have replaced the front wall and the side walls up to a point but I want to completely remove the back two brick walls to gain an addition foot of living space. I am concerned about the walls collapsing and want to shore it up some way. How can I do this?

I have a contractor who is a friend helping me and he has made some suggestions but I want to be sure. If I haven't given enough info just ask and I will do my best to describe the situation.

The newer section is just a crawl space and 2x4 construction.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not use the same shoring system you used when replacing the front and side walls?

Am I missing something?

Old 08-06-13, 07:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah sorry, I only removed the interior brick layer on the front and sides the exterior layer is still there, sorry if I didn't make that clear, I am removing both layers of brick on the rear of the house