Estimating materials for mortar

Old 08-05-13, 06:27 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Estimating materials for mortar

Well my walkway is almost done! Just the end stair treads that required a cut (1/32 to 1/16 shift in all my rows added up to needing a 1" cut off the back -- worse things have happened). If not for that, it would be all set now.

Next step is the pointing. It's veneer pavers over concrete, set in Type S mortar. Nice and solid and seems to have held up pretty well. I had two border bricks pop on me, and that's probably because I overworked them trying to get them level. Ground out and reset and it's good now.

So on to pointing. I have a Cox grout gun, or I will painstakingly trowel into all the joints, but the end results will be the same amount of material.

Based on some liberal estimates, I'll need about 3 cubic feet total (1.75" x 1/2" joint x 400 linear feet). If I go by the grout gun recommendation, they like a 3:0.5:1 mix sand/lime/cement with plasticizer.

Any good references for how far an 80lb bag of portland and the appropriate lime and sand will go? I have a van for a limited time, so I'd rather get my materials all at once.

Thanks!
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Portland cement usually comes in 94-lb. sacks, not 80 pounders. And your arithmetic is slightly off, as you'll only need slightly under 2.5 C.F. of mortar.

Based on a very rough calculation by weight, assuming a mixed weight of 140 lb. per C.F., you'll need 2 sacks of Portland (barely using only 1 and one-half of those, but they don't sell half-sacks), about 400 lb. of sand and one small sack of lime. This is per the proportions you listed, includes a factor for waste, and keeps the Portland on the high end to ensure reasonably decent strength.

All of the above will easily fit into the trunk of even a small car, so don't worry if the van isn't available when you start gathering materials.

Old 08-07-13, 05:39 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I was way rounding up, but I came up with the 2.5 cubic feet as well. if I'm mixing small batches at a time, I was worried about more waste than pros usually factor in.