Waterproofing foundation wall

Old 08-07-13, 07:15 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing foundation wall

Hello,

I'm trying to waterproof my house and have started looking at where water gets into my basement when there is heavy rainfall. I pulled off the bottom siding of my house to expose the top of the foundation wall and the brick that sits on top of it. It seems like water gets in between the seam of the top of the foundation wall and the brick when it rains hard. The picture also shows a concrete slab that my ac unit is sitting on along with the chimney (for water heater) that protrudes out from the corner.

Should I use dry lok fast plug (hydraulic cement) or a construction type silicone sealant to seal the seam between the brick and foundation wall. Do I also need to fill the hole on the left side of the corner where the chimney is? If so what should I use to fill that hole?

Thanks,

Doug

Attached Images  

Last edited by freshwun; 08-07-13 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-13, 07:41 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
From the picture, it kind of looks like it drops down a bit behind the concrete slab.
Is the slab level, or slope in any direction?
Is the inside of the wall finished or bare concrete?
Gutters above or around the area, are there any and if so, are they working as required?

I have a thought that could work, but would like to know a bit more before suggesting. Also, if you could post a close up picture behind the slab, that would be great.

Old 08-07-13, 08:06 AM
F
The slab is pitched a little towards the house so that is why I'm getting a lot of water in this area. I'm trying to get it mudjacked but one company already said the concrete is going under the house so he can't do it. I would just need to raise it an inch or two. I'm getting a second opinion. I would appreciate any other options to pitch the water away from this area. I was thinking of putting rocks and a tarp on the concrete slab to create my own slope away from the house.

There is a drop behind the concrete slab. It's a larger gap around the corner where the chimney is. I'm guessing when it rains hard it gets filled up above the foundation wall so it leaks into my basement.

It's bare concrete on the inside wall. This is a very small room where my water heater is located.

No gutters in this area

Additional pics attached.

Thanks,

Doug

Attached Images    
Old 08-07-13, 08:25 AM
N
Off the top, here are my thoughts (others may have different ideas).
Depending on how the roof is, gutters will keep a lot of water way. Pending the hight of the house, could be a fairly inexpensive task.
The concrete slap could be resurfaced (AC units might be an issue depending on the type of pipe work and length). May only add a bit of hight towards the house, but that could help.

For the gap... This isn't my area of expertis, so one of the pros might have a better idea.
Personally, I'd clean out anything that is loose, seal any visable cracks then fill until level or slightly higher then the slab.
I once had an old Italian brick layer tell me that if you pour some dry portland cement in before you backfill (with gravel or concrete), any water that does get in, will carry the "glue" with it, plugging the cracks when it dries. Not sure how valid it is.
I do know that this guy and his french partner where the best (craziest) foundation guys in town.

Old 08-07-13, 08:54 AM
F
It's a two story house. The concrete slab sticks out far enough where the gutters won't catch the rain that falls on the slab. I got a couple quotes for around $800 to remove the AC units. I believe it's another $800 to reconnect them. Ouch! I probably have to remove the AC units to resurface the slab unless I can somehow work around it.

Old 08-07-13, 09:08 AM
N
It's not that the gutters would catch what falls on the slab, but more of the gutters keeping the water that collected on the roof from falling onto the slab and surrounding area.
It should also be noted that the extra ~4" with the gutters add to a roof line does reduce a lot of rain from hitting the side of the house. Sounds odd.

For working around the AC unit... Not my area, and with coolant, won't even take a guess at things.