About to knock a hole in wall - help needed!

Old 08-08-13, 10:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
About to knock a hole in wall - help needed!

Double brick 1920’s single story detached house.

At the moment, access to sub-basement (ie below wooden floor supported on brick piers) is via tiny hole in bedroom floorboards.

So plan is to cut small (400mm W x 500mm H) (15.7”w x 23.6”h) opening at ground level through the brick wall. Obviously the wall above is supporting a load of bricks (~4metres) and the roof.

Is there much risk in cutting this small opening in a load bearing wall? I'm experienced DIY, but not a builder.

Does such a narrow opening require anything more than a small galv steel “L” lintel (eg) 75mm x 75mm by 600mm wide?

Would I need to support the wall (bearing in mind the narrow opening) with props before fitting the lintel?

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

Old 08-09-13, 05:26 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Given your metric measurements (in mm primarily), It's pretty safe to say you are outside North America. Even here in Canada, our construction measurement is heavily infuenced by our US neighbors.

Anyway, back on topic...
With construction methods and materials being different region to region, I think photos of the area, close and wide angle, will help us get a better understanding of the materials and layout you are working with.

I am not too sure how well the L beam will support the brick at that size. 5cm (less then 2") on either side isn't much support and depending on the type and condition of the brick, may not be enough.

For this opening, what purpose will it serve you? Will it be just for access/inspection or will you be possible moving equipment in and out?

400mm wide isn't a lot of space. It would be a fairly uncomfortable squeeze to get myself through that.

Without seeing any pictures or knowing more, I would suggest looking at a slightly larger hole (500mm wide minimum finished space). Depending on the quality and type of brick, you may require more support then you are currently planning.

Old 08-15-13, 06:40 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike.

I'm in Australia, formerly from London.

Only need a small hole, as for very occasional use only - the sub-basement is only 90cm at its highest, anyway. Just for occasional maintenance of plumbing, ducting, etc.

I've attached an image... Whilst the brickwork is a bit old and messy, it seems pretty solid - no significant cracks on this wall.

Basically, I plan on cutting a slit across the top of the air vent in the mortar, plus maybe a bricks width either side, putting in a steel support (hopefully a flat one), then cutting out the air vent and 5 brick layers below (just to the width of the vent).

I note that when they added this vent, they didn't put any support on the inner leaf,its just hanging there! I'll add a steel bar there, too.

Sound ok? Just a galv flat steel support ok?

Mike

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: