concrete porch finish too smooth

Old 08-27-13, 02:06 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete porch finish too smooth

I have a concrete porch, was finished way to smooth, when rains is very slippery
How can I rough it up , refinish or paint over?

Most paint reviews seem prettu bad?

Would just an strong acid etch (like Rustoleam) and stiff brush work?

Any ideas appreciated

Old 08-27-13, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Muratic acid is used on fine finished concrete to open up the 'pores' of the concrete where it will accept paint/stain ..... but I'm not sure that will help with the slippery when wet issue.

Old 08-29-13, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Etch the surface first, to clean and provide a good bond for paint. Then use a "quality" (brand-name) quality paint, onto which you broadcast some carborundum grit or a hard quartz/silica or even garnet sand, while the paint is still wet. With a paint topcoat to lock the abrasives into place.

While only observing its use instead of using it personally, I'm familiar with carborundum grit often used as a surfacing additive in concrete floor finishes, to make the finished surface "not slippery." It's the usual additive for industrial (factory) floor finishes. I have used quartz/silica sand with oil-based enamels, most recently on steel motorcycle lift surfaces (very successfully), where good tire-traction was extremely important.

Old 08-30-13, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I'm not fond of the 'sand' type grit they sell at the paint store to add to floor paint. It does a good job initially but it doesn't take too much time for the traffic areas to wear back smooth I don't know if there are different types of grit that can be added to paint or if one type fares better than another

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: