driveway run off

Old 09-01-13, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
driveway run off

I have a 2 car wide driveway (concrete) and the neighbor has a one car wide driveway (stone). They run right next to each other with a 2-3 ft section of mud inbetween them. When we get heavy rains all the run off from my roof floods the back half of my drive where the mud meets my driveway, I am assuming the mud/clay mix can not drain the water fast enough. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what i can do help it drain the water faster, only idea I have is dig down 3-4 ft and put stone for 2 foot then mud back on top to help it drain better. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-13, 05:09 PM
PICS of said driveway? Slope? Age? Condition? Water seeks the lowest point. It sounds like building up the section where it pools and repairing low spots or depressions would do more good than what you're thinking of.

I really don't the ability of a 2-3 foot strip of mud to absorb and then drain that water is the real difference-maker here. Your description makes me think a low spot towards the back of the driveway is the issue. If fixing that isn't feasible my next move is to see if I can modify that strip so that it accepts the water and channels it away. This would mean digging a trench then installing a drain along it.

Last edited by eharri3; 09-01-13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Ya, water seeks the path of least resistance, if you can direct the water elsewhere - great. Otherwise digging down and filling with gravel will work but it will have it's limits.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-02-13, 09:16 AM
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...psfba89e85.jpg sorry it took so long as you can see from picture its been raining (light sprinkle all morning). concrete has been there since mid 70s i am told by neighbors (ive owned the house for 6 years). I dont want to build up the section I want to dig down and add stone instead of the clay/mud mix thats there to help it draining just wondering if its worth doing it. It is a low spot but once you see picture there is not a lot i can do to stop it from being a low spot

Old 09-02-13, 09:18 AM
A decent fix could include removing the mud/dirt, and replacing it with decorative concrete (to avoid more boring concrete that will definitely look like an "add-on"). Doing so will improve the drainage back there, eliminate the mud problem, and add value to both properties. If the mud is owned jointly, your neighbor might even be willing to chip in on half the material cost of the concrete. Especially if you let him/her help choose the type of decorative concrete finish used.

Old 09-02-13, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
The biggest problem is your neighbor's driveway being higher than yours. A ditch along the property line will help. Assuming there is no place to route the ditch water away from the driveways, it will only handle so much water. The deeper the ditch is the more water it will handle. You can fill the ditch with gravel but sooner or later sediment will get between the rocks and make it less efficient.

Old 09-02-13, 09:23 AM
i have thought about doing that but the water would still need a place to run off to, because it is the lowest point. I have thought about putting a french drain with a sub pit at the end along there but occasionally it does get drove across with a car/truck and I would be worried it would just break the french drain

Old 09-02-13, 11:12 AM
Yeah that is the biggest problem is there drive id higher. Would a french drain be effective? Or would it just crack first time driving over it? I wouldnt be opposed to putting more stone or all stone even

Old 09-02-13, 11:59 AM
After seeing the photo of what you're dealing with, I take back my concrete suggestion. The area is just too low.

A properly-constructed sump pit, filled with large (No. 3 or greater rock) and being at least 4 or 5 feet deep and several feet long, would do the trick. Line the pit and cover the top of the rock with filter fabric, to keep the fines from clogging the voids between the rock, before adding a top gravel layer to match what your neighbor has.

Nothing to break, regardless of how often you drive over it. The only conditions under which it wouldn't work is if you have an abnormally high water table.

Old 09-02-13, 12:22 PM
Are you sure there is no lower land around that has accepted the historic water from the higher areas. It seems like you are at the "bottom of the barrel" for drainage according to your description. - Possibly it is a city or municipal problem that could help improve all properties. That street could carry a lot of water from a large area.

Water always runs down hill and carries a lot with it. A large sump will definitely help. Unfortunately, everything from roofing granules, grass clippings, bird poop and eroded soil from bad landscaping will eventually build up and fill it. It is just a matter of time.

Dick

Old 09-02-13, 12:32 PM
It looks like just over time the neighbors drive from them just adding more and more stone over years made it worse for my driveway. with the sump pit should I put some type of french drain to run to the sump pit? Or just use the stone to lead that way?

Old 09-02-13, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It looks like your gutter is draining in that front corner. If so, can you redo it so all the water exits at the back of the garage?

..... adding more and more stone over years made it worse for my driveway.
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. Nice guy. Do you get any water inside the garage?

Old 09-02-13, 03:43 PM
I have the gutters running out the back of garage also. When I did the gutters on there I sloped it all towards back but put gutter there in case 1 down spout was enough just in case. They are old people next door with not a lot of money so they do cheapest driveway regravel they can. I csnt complain there nice people so if thats the worse they do I can live eith it. Until these last few rain falls I haven't gotten water in garage bit its poured buckets these past couple and ground cant absorb it fast enough so I have gotten a slight dampening in my garage