Flooring replace chipboard

Old 02-19-01, 05:04 AM
Visiting Guest
The second floor of a home we are remodeling has chipboard flooring. (I think chipboard is the proper term.) Water has come through some faulty doors and windows and the chipboard has disintegrated near the door and windows. There appears to be 1/2" plywood under the chipboard and it has been damaged as well (it is spongy and bends when you walk on it).

Do I take up the damaged chipboaard and replace it as we3ll as the underlying plywood? What do I replace the chipboard with? Should all the chipboard be taken up and replaced, even if some of it is in relatively good condition? How do you replace it under the existing walls?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-01, 08:51 PM
The unassisted route may not be your best choice. At any given moment you may need to make quick firm decisions.

Generally replace the sheeting with the same materials oriented in the same direction. How much is cut back depends on the wall and joist orientation. Checking and treating framing members for dry rot and using heaters and/or fans to dry is part of the process.

Replacing sheeting under a wall is never easy. Again depending on wall and joist orientation it might be
possible to use a wood impregnating product for the sheeting under the wall. Wood impregnators harden wood making it impervious to dry rot (and future nailing). Otherwise a section of the bottom wall plate is removed. The not so easy part is how to install bracing and/or shoring to provide support during the operation; then removing, replace, and reaffixing members, so as to not crack the stucco, jamb or break windows, make doors inoperable or materially alter or destabilize framing under any given circumstance.

A journeyman carpenter will have the skills and possibly the tools necessary for most circumstances.