Covering old bricks

Old 09-12-13, 07:45 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering old bricks

Been asked to help restore an old building. There are some areas on interior walls, that have exposed old brick where the surface coating has fallen away. Looks like the coating was "mud' or cement...hard to tell. I intend to freshen up the brick surface to help adherence of new material. Not sure whether to use vinyl cement, or a "mud" coat, or ? Finish will be rough, not plaster-smooth.
Anyone have experience with covering over 100-year-old brick...? The areas aren't very large...maybe 1 ft X 3 ft.
Thanx.....Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-13, 04:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like someone already tried to hide the old brick & it didn't last. Why did you say that the new finish has to be rough? Is that what the owner wants?

Old 09-16-13, 05:08 AM
F
That is the original surface....gotta try to match it.

Old 09-16-13, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Drywall products all dry fairly smooth [not sure if sand or something can be added] A gritty finish can be had with masonry products [like stucco/mortar] I've never worked worked with plaster but think the same effect can be gotten with it. I would guess that plaster is what was originally used .... sorry I can't be of more help Hopefully tightcoat will have time to respond - he's pretty knowledgeable about plaster

Old 09-17-13, 08:43 AM
F
Thanx marksr; I was thinking of a stucco mix I saw the other day at a home improvement center...in 80lb bags...ugh! Have to wear my trusse for those...lol. Original wall coating looks like a rough coat(under finish plaster), and just painted over that.
May be some politics involved with this, so I may rescind my offer to do it. Seems to be politics in everything these days.....Oh well.
Charlie

Old 09-17-13, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd try my best to talk the owner into exposing all of the brick surfaces to their original, native condition. Could make it far more appealing than to simply cover them up, especially if other features in the same rooms (room dividers, planters, etc.) can be installed to closely match the original brickwork.