Power Tool To Remove Silcone Caulk From Brick

Old 09-13-13, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Tool To Remove Silcone Caulk From Brick

Two layers of silicone caulk seals the garage frame sides to the house brick. I used 3M Caulk Remover but left it on too long so the hot sun baked it dry. Working in 100 degree temps so something other than a hand scraper is perferred.

Would a wire brush wheel powered by my drill help me quickly take the caulk off the brick?

Other suggestions please. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-13, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the brick surface will be exposed after removal...any power tool option will probably leave very visible marks.

Normally there is just a bead of caulk that you can slice through with a utility knife while prying off the wood.

Old 09-13-13, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
A fein multimaster and scraper does pretty well. obviously won't get it all off but will save a lot of work

Old 09-13-13, 09:33 PM
Using a tool with brass wire abrasive (instead of steel wire) will do less damage to your bricks and mortar.

Old 09-14-13, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I'd be concerned that anything that adds much speed would also increase the odds of damaging the face of the brick Slow and easy is safer, could you schedule the work in the early morning or evening to beat the heat?

Old 09-18-13, 09:51 PM
Sorry for not responding back sooner. Seems replies were not coming to me via instant email even though that is how I have it setup.

Here's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say.

Seems our home builder used caulk to hide cheap lumber plus the caulk almost welded itself to the smooth faced brick. The multi function tool using a flat blade was recommend to me by a pro but was too expensive and would probably never be used again. I used Liftoff brand caulk and foam softer, a painters tool, wire brush and very, very narrow and intense spray sream of water. Got most all off. I'm hoping the building contractor will do me a solid and remove the small amount left. Oh, I worked at first light for about 1 hour for four days. Being weak from chronic bad health sucks. Years ago I could have done that job in one day.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Last edited by Elmo Few; 09-18-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 11:13 PM
Removing caulk from brick

I would use a heat gun to soften the caulk up and then use a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder on low to med speed with as little force as possible.To remove the caulk from around wood just use the heat gun to soften up then putty tool to remove the caulk.Also you could use the drill but the angle grinder would work best for the brick & if you do not have speed control on your grinder or drill buy you a router speed control cost about 10 to 15 dollars to plug your power tool into & then you can control your speed.