need advise on a concrete foundation I recently had a contractor pour.

Old 09-23-13, 06:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need advise on a concrete foundation I recently had a contractor pour.

I had a contractor pour a foundation for a metal building I'm going to have put up on my property. I think he did a horrible job and kinda of uneasy continuing the project until I get some advice. The contractor let the concrete get on the outside of plastic barrier so now I have a layer of plastic embeaded in the concrete corners. This guy says he's happy with the quality of work and wants payment for money owed. My fear is the concrete slab is just 3/4" bigger than the building and the frame will end up overhanging off the corners where they will end up breaking off because they are bonded to plastic instead of concrete. Plus it just looks like crap, and if I build up the corners with epoxy cement will that permanently fix the horrid look or will the patch job end up falling off with time? I'll post more pictures need to upload them to photobucket

Attached Images   

Last edited by Seth Kegley; 09-23-13 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 06:27 PM
S

Old 09-24-13, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Welcome to the forums Seth!

I'm having a hard time understanding the plastic I assume plastic was laid under the slab and then wrapped up the sides of the form ?? If so, the plastic and the thin layer of cement on the sides should be removed.
What region are you located in? is there a footer around the perimeter of the slab?

Old 09-24-13, 03:59 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It does look like the plastic was under the concrete and was turned up in the form. If I look at the slab edges away from the corners, I think I can see the wrinkles from plastic. I suspect the plastic may have been used as a poor man's form release. In any case, it looks terrible even away from the corners; but then I've always been a little fussy, it's a hazard of my occupation. At the very least, I would have the contractor clean up the corners.

Edit: The other thing I would suggest is to pull some string lines at the edges to see how straight the edges are. I would also measure the diagonals to see if it's square.

Old 09-24-13, 06:12 AM
S
I live in Florida, and the city I live in requires a moisture barrier under the slab, there is 12"x12" footers all the way around the foundation. I'll try to get better pics. It looks like when he was bullfloating the plastic got pulled back from the forms at the corners and totally ruined 3 of the 4 corners, I measured the slab in several places it appears to be square aside from looking bad. Is there an acceptable way to fix the corners that will last?

Last edited by Seth Kegley; 09-24-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do you live in one of those states where anyone with a dog and a pickup can call himself a contractor? Yikes, those corners sure look bad. Concrete with built-in fracture planes cannot be expected to perform satisfactorily. Makes me wonder what you can't see that he screwed up, too.

If I were doing the corner repairs, I'd sawcut each at 45 degrees, being careful not to cut any embedded rebar. He did use rebar, yes? Then the delineated concrete needs to be removed using jackhammers, all rebar being preserved and cleaned of loose concrete/mortar, corners formed up and repoured. With some supplemental anchors drilled and epoxied into the main slab to ensure the new corner concrete stays attached. Also, the wobbly form lines should be trued up, using some aggressive grinding. Don't be surprised if there's more buried plastic to be found, requiring additional removal and replacement. You should be able to easily find it by lightly tapping on the vertical edge faces with a hammer--if there's plastic just below the surface, the sound will be lower in pitch instead of having a nice ring to it.

FWIW, I wouldn't trust the same contractor to do the repairs.