In Ground swimming pool losing water due to a leak in the liner -

Old 09-24-13, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In Ground swimming pool losing water due to a leak in the liner -

Hard to find the right forum for this question, so here is where I wound up. I have an in ground pool which has a leak somewhere either in the liner or an area where the liner was cut in, like where the stairs, drain and/or skimmers are located. I live in the midwest and am closing the pool for the winter. My fear is that if the pool should totally drain due to the leak being near the bottom, should I be concerned that the pool might cave in? The pool is about 14 years old and goes from shallow to about 8 feet deep. I believe that a new liner will have to be installed in the Spring of 2014, so it could be empty for up to 6 months.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Hi, I myself would play it by ear. I would let it drain out the leak to a point. Say 1/2 way. If it continuies to drop then I would add water to keep it above the 1/2 way mark.

If and when it stops before that then you know your leak is at that level somewhere in the liner.

Now the flip side is the leak could be in a line somewhere. If its at skimmer level then it may not drop much below those. If its main drain then it will drop down all the way...

You could eliminate the lines by winterizing and pluging all the ports. The main drain you blow air out and shut the valve. Then see if your water level drops.

From my experience most leaks are around the pool light if you have one, or around the edges at ice level, and the ice puts a small tear in the liner.

The other options to find these leaks is some goggles and a dye kit... Put the dye around suspected areas and if you see it flow towards the liner and disappears thats where the leak is.

There are many companys that do this for you..

Last I dont know about your area, but I dont think the pool will cave in if empty. But it a lot of rain things could happen if a wall to earth is compromised by the weight of ground water. And if the water table is high in your area I assume after a mega rain storm pools have been known to float out of the ground...

Old 09-24-13, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you my friend! Going to try the dye, the pool has been turned off and sitting idle for about two weeks and has dropped totally about a foot from the top concrete sidewalk around the pool looking down into the shallow end. I'm thinking the leak is where the stairs which are about 5 ft wide are cut into the pool. The house is only 14 year old and when built, the ground level was raised quite hight before the foundation was dug and poured.

Old 09-24-13, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Let us know how it goes... Always like happy endings and hope you find it...

Happy snorkling!!!!! ( Oh and dont swallow any water..)