cleaning/sealing concrete driveway and replace expansion joints

Old 09-25-13, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question cleaning/sealing concrete driveway and replace expansion joints

After I acid wash and power wash my driveway and seal it I plan to replace the deteriorating expansion joints. The material that is currently installed is a strip of fibrous looking material that looks like it was stuffed into the joints when the place was made six years ago. I cannot find the material or even know what to call it. I see stuff that comes in ropes that you melt into cracks and gaps but not this stuff. Anyy suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-13, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Concrete backer rod. Here are some pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=conc...bih=1019&dpr=1

Old 09-25-13, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's unlikely to be backer rod, as most of that stuff has a longer service life than 6 years (I've installed and inspected thousands of feet of it in the last 20 years). Also, backer rod and the high-end silicone sealant that goes on top of it, are rarely used in typical residential concrete applications.

The OP is more likely dealing with deteriorated sections of expansion joint filler. Commonly used in residential driveway placements, the cheaper brands of it (usually gray in color, but often turning yellowish-brown when weathered) can dry out and start to crumble in just a few years. Early in my concrete placement/finishing career, I became a believer in buying the pricier but much longer-lasting bituminous impregnated filler after seeing how quickly the cheap, gray stuff deteriorated.