NEED ADVICE FOR MY OUTDOOR BRICK STEPS

Old 02-20-01, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have several bricks (reddish/brown color)on my steps leading to my porch entrance which have become loose. The mortar has and is breaking up but not on the entire steps just in some spots within the bricks. Can I remove damaged areas, clean brick, and re-mortar?? Need advice on cleaning brick, best mortar to use for re-touch, tips on possibly re-laying some bricks, tools needed etc. Thanks for any help/ advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-01, 06:48 PM
You can remove damaged areas, clean the brick, and re-lay. Chip the majority off with a brick hammer or cold chisel or masons chisel then wire brush. For a few bricks used sacked ready mix mortar (follow directions).

Dampen the brick; then to insert a brick lay a bed of mortar; then lay a wedge of mortar on the existing brick and wedge of mortar on four sides of the brick to insert, tap, level, remove excess mortar, wait. After 15-20 minutes when the mortar is thumb print hard tool the joint with a wooden dowel or "jointer". Wait again, then sweep little chunks lightly with a wisk broom. Do this when the temperature is 50 degrees or above. Basic tools: hammer, chisel, wire brush, brick trowel, whisk broom, (jointer or subsistute).