New house - stained concrete questions

Old 10-06-13, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New house - stained concrete questions

Hi all,

We just bought a house and the previous owner stained the concrete floors in kitchen and laundry room areas. We have a dog and just noticed what appears to be spots on the concrete from where he drinks out of his water bowl and drools/splashes around the bowl. These are grayish color, I am guessing from the hard water and/or nasty stuff in dog drool!

This leads me to believe the previous owner may have stained, but never sealed, the concrete. I'm going to try to contact them and find out.

So first question, is there any way to remove the spots that are already there - would vinegar or something like that help or make it worse? Second question, is there anything tricky we should know if we want to go ahead and seal (or re-seal) the floor to prevent further water spots? Any easy DIY products we could just mop on?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 213 Posts
Mineral spots can appear on any surface sealed or not. Sealing the concrete if it's not already sealed will make removing spots easier but will not prevent them since the problem is the minerals in the water. Scrubbing with an acid solution (vinegar) is a good start to remove the existing deposits. You can try putting down a rug around the water bowl to catch dribbles. As a more drastic move you can fill the dog's water bowl with distilled water. Possibly expensive if you have a big dog but it works at preventing mineral deposits as the water evaporates with minimal trace.