Can I point an exsisting flush joint brick wall?

Old 10-07-13, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I point an exsisting flush joint brick wall?

Hi there, we have bought a new home just built this year and the brick walls have all been done in a flush joint but it all looks very roughly done.
Is there a tool out there that I can go round the place ( I know it will take a long time) and point all the mortar? of course all the mortar is set solid now as the bricks went up a few months ago.
Or is there a way to go over the whole wall with a sander of some kind to make it all more flush?
I have been told it was was flush jointed the way it was for later in life to be plastered but we like the bricks just not the joins.
Any help or info for this would be much appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I suppose you could take a grinder and clean out the mortar joints that way. Some of the others might have better ideas. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-08-13, 09:34 AM
So I'm confused regarding the two things you are trying to accomplish, as they appear to be a contradiction of terms--making the mortar joints what you call "pointed" (typically called raking the joints in the US, to make the bricks stand out), or grinding everything to be more flush.

Would you care to elaborate a bit? With a few pix, perhaps?

Old 10-08-13, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I think the mortar is flush with the brick and they want it to look like it was struck .... but pics and more info would be nice

Old 10-13-13, 04:10 PM
thanks for replies

Hi all thank you for the replies, i must need to set something up to get notifications when i get replies as i was waiting for an email to alert me.
ill will try get some photos soon.
so what im wanting to do is as you say rake out to mortar to show the brick better instead of a flush look as the flush work that has been done is really terrible.
i have been told by someone that i could rub over the whole walls with a brick the same as used to "sand" it flush as such without de-colouring any of the bricks.
but im looking for as many options as i can to work down to the most suitable.
someone else also said to get the walls acid washed could make the mortar tidier looking.
thanks again and looking forward to hearing more from you.

Old 10-16-13, 04:52 AM
Photos

Here are some photos of the brick work. I havent gone looking for the worst bits its all like this. again any help be greatly appreciated thanks

Attached Images