adhering 2'x2'x2" concrete pavers

Old 10-08-13, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adhering 2'x2'x2" concrete pavers

Hi - has anyone adhered large concrete pavers together on their sides (side by side, the 2" dimension)? I want to have what amounts to a 2'x4' walking surface/step without using poured concrete. If you have, I'm looking for tips about how to do it away from the site I'll eventually place them in - i.e. how to keep the pavers close together while the adhesive is drying, waht adhesive is strongest, anything else you might offer?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 09:03 PM
I suspect you haven't received any responses yet because it's not very clear what you are trying to accomplish. Especially the part about "how to do it away from the site" (?). Keep in mind that if you glue enough of the pavers together, you won't be able to lift or transport them because of the weight.

Care to elaborate?

Old 10-11-13, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
These are normally installed in a 1" bed of screed sand over top of a compacted base - concrete is not normally used.

Old 10-11-13, 02:19 PM
you're right, thanks. "away from the site" -- the base of the walkway is filled in with sand on that top layer, so I can't lie them in place put the glue on and push them together, so I'll have to use another flat surface away from the site to use as a stable place to glue them together. yes, it's going to be an issue to glue them, let it dry, then to transport. i'm concerned that without a large surface area to glue, they might fall apart eventually. wondering if anyone has tried this and how it worked out in the long run...

Old 10-11-13, 02:56 PM
If you insist on using "glue" to join them in place, why not consider just a prepackaged mortar? You can first set each paver in place, at the proper grade and uniform spacing between each, then place a "loose" (meaning not too stiff) mix of mortar between all of the pavers. Work it into place using a thin tamper of sorts, then use a smooth, rounded cake frosting spatula to make all of the joints pretty. Temporary duct tape along the tops of all of the pavers' edges will prevent mortar from spilling onto them.

Old 10-11-13, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, you could probably attach them to a sheet of durock then carry the whole thing and lay it in place. Most you could fit at one time would only be about 4 or 6.

I guess you could cut all the durock to size, place it in the path on the sand, then use mortar to try to hold them all together. $10 a sheet for 3x5 durock.

The whole point is, this isn't the way pavers are designed to be installed. If done correctly with the sub-bases then polymeric sand in the joints, they should last as long as needed.