Weird pipe in brick - safe to remove?

Old 10-11-13, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird pipe in brick - safe to remove?

Dear Friends: I am in the process of replacing an old wooden fence around my brick and tile patio. When I removed one of the old fence posts, I noticed that the brick under the post was cracked. I removed the old brick with the intention of replacing it with a new brick. As I removed the brick, I noticed that a metal pipe was imbedded in the center of the brick. I believe that the pipe was used to anchor the old fence post, but I want to make sure that this is the case. The pipe actually appears to run under the tile adjacent to the brick that I removed. It looks like the pipe was filled with mortar. There was a similar pipe under a second fence post (at least I could see the top) that also appeared to anchor the post to the brick (I was lucky and this brick did not crack). My question is: Is this pipe just there for previous anchoring purposes, and can I cut it so that I can fit in a new brick? I am attaching a few pictures in case this helps. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Name:  resize Pipe pic 1.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  46.7 KBName:  resize Pipe pic 2.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  50.0 KBName:  resize Pipe pic 3.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  42.6 KB

Best regards,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I can't imagine it being there for any other reason, lame though it may be. You will need to make a repair, cutting off the pipe if possible close to where it enters the other brick. Once the repairs are made, then you can install your new post on a proper post base fastened down with tapcons, etc, or embed a post base with a tail directly into concrete, and just use a half brick to decorate the front part.

Old 10-11-13, 05:42 PM
Thanks so much Chandler. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I feel better about cutting into the pipe now.

Old 10-11-13, 07:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
It is possible it was for a gas lantern or possibly a yard hydrant long before the bricks were laid. At any rate, it is obviously abandoned so cut it out and lay the new brick.

Old 10-12-13, 10:06 AM
The pipes in question could also have been for the purpose of running electrical lines in for some decorative light fixtures (on top of the posts) on either side of the entryway.

Old 10-12-13, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
The pipes in question could also have been for the purpose of running electrical lines in for some decorative light fixtures (on top of the posts) on either side of the entryway.
Doubtful with that kind of 90 degree elbow. Almost never get wire or a fish tape through that.