Cracks in front porch and driveway concrete

Old 10-27-13, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracks in front porch and driveway concrete

I have had some stress cracks in my driveway which were minor and one all along my front porch concrete which i decided to address this summer. i read that i should try uniformly removing the broken material all along the crack with a chisel, so this is what i first did. i then decided to give the quickcrete crack repair a try to fill them in, thinking i could blend it in with the surrounding material. that stuff sucks. there was so much asphalt and large particulate material, that the caulking could not be smoothed. nonetheless, the crack is filled, but it is not flush to the surface and it is very noticeable since it was widened a bit. i am looking for a good solution to making a smooth fill and evening out the crack so that it blends with the surrounding material. what are my options beyond using standard caulking/sealant and painting to hide the repair? i would like to avoid the paint as i enjoy the bare concrete look. i have attached a pic of the porch post-filling. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-13, 06:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is no crack filler that not going to show.
Worry be more about how close that siding it to the sidewalk.
Siding never should have been any closer then 6" of any grade.

Old 10-28-13, 08:12 AM
this picture is taken of the landing that is in front of the front door, which is elevated about 12" above grade. the siding starts about 6" above grade, but this is form fit around the first step and the landing, so the siding is properly above grade. would you suggest i leave the crack as is? the filler should protect further freeze thaw cycles from pentrting and expanding the crack, but i don't know if doing something like trying to make it level with a grey acrylic/latex caulk would make the appearance any better.

Old 10-28-13, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 275 Posts
You mention that the crack widened a bit after you did your repair. That means the concrete is still moving. I would wait until the slab stabilizes then consider overlaying the entire porch if the appearance of the crack bothers you. Unfortunately cracking is very common in concrete.

Old 10-28-13, 08:18 AM
i widened the crack a bit with a chisel to make the grove uniform width and remove loose debris. it has not widened itself. also, the crack was very superficial once i got at it with the chisel. it went only maybe 2-3 mm below the surface.

Old 10-29-13, 06:09 AM
Like Dane said cracks in Concrete are common. If i were you i would be focused on what could be possibly doing the damage, can you take a picture of this area, think about water moving the earth under the concrete , look at your downspouts and make sure they are not throwing water to here, is there a water source nearby the crack like a spigot coming from your house that keeps dripping? is this a bowl in the concrete were all the water will sit at? Is this the only crack around this area?

Old 10-30-13, 08:02 AM
If there are not crack control joints in your porch, or if they are spaced too far apart, then that crack is a shrinkage crack. It's not caused by any outside force or water, but instead by the concrete shrinking a bit as it cured. Crack control joints are placed specifically to control this type of crack.
That said, cracks go all the way through the thickness of concete. They don't just stop halfway through. They may be very narrow, but they are there. The dust you created while chiseling probably filled it in so you couldn't see it going deeper.
Filling exterior cracks is done with something flexible like urethane caulk, not a rigid material like concrete or vinyl patch. This is because the concrete expands and contracts with temperature fluctuations and rigid material can't shrink or stretch as needed to mimic that movement. Rigid material will crack too, as will any overlay placed over a crack.