Stained concrete Driveway

Old 10-29-13, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Stained concrete Driveway

I have some mystery stains on my driveway from previous owners and after some research and talking to some concrete guys I think it is silcone based tire shine. It has sealed the surface of the concrete in spots. It is visible when dry but really stands out when it rains. What can I use to dissolve silicone from concrete? Trisodium phosphate maybe? If I just sealed the driveway over it would it cover it up? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-13, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I wouldn't just seal over it, any coating applied over it may not bond well to the concrete.
TSP sounds like a good place to start.

Old 10-29-13, 01:01 PM
I would soda blast the area, if you dont have one maybe you can get a estimate from a local. I dont see it being over $100 if it bothers you that much.

Check this out
Soda Blasting Concrete - The Concrete Network

Old 10-30-13, 07:50 AM
Try scrubbing it with a very stiff brush and BOILING HOT water. I mean, boil some water, take it out to the stains and pour it on while vigorously scrubbing. There are very few things that remove silicone coatings but I have had luck with that approach. And mine was on a 17,000 sq ft floor, so you can imagine how long that took! Cheap to try, and if it works you're cool. If it doesn't, you're really not out anything but a little time.