Covering Pre Cast Front Stairs with stone

Old 11-10-13, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering Pre Cast Front Stairs with stone

Hi,

I recently added a walkway to the front of my house and have now decided to cover the precast front stairs with stone. The problem I'm having is that the if I add the typical blue stone or slate to the top of landing and stairs there will be an odd sized step into the house (tripping hazard). I'm wondering if there is a product that will be thin enough to add over the top landing and stair treads. I'm going to put stone on the side and front of stairs just looking for a solution on the top. I currently have three 8 inch steps into the house and I want to stay as close to that as possible.

Thanks,
Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 48 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Short version is you have to stay the same height on all the steps, that's a code issue.

I am not aware of any product thin enough but hang tight as others may have ideas for you.

Old 11-11-13, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
I would not try a stone on top of the steps. Any stone, real or synthetic and the mortar to stick it in place is going to add too much thickness. Do a pretty veneer on the sides where it can be seen from the road and; paint the tops, or glue down thin outdoor carpeting, or give it a brushed top coating with concrete resurfacer.