Stone veneer Siding

Old 11-26-13, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stone veneer Siding

Hello,
Im needing some help regarding stone siding. When I moved into my current home, I added vinyl siding. Now we've been there 7 years and are interested in adding a natural slate stone siding to the first four feet of the house. My question is how to transition from the sill separating the stone from the vinyl as seamlessly as possible.
I know I'll have to remove 4-5 courses of the vinyl down to the sheathing, add chicken wire over house wrap for prep, flash, etc. but once the 4 ft of slate stone siding is installed, do I add a starter strip to the new bottom course of siding? And any tips for where to purchase stone faced sills would be great!
Thanks as always

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-13, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I would work it out so you can have a starter strip at the bottom. You could use "J" channel if the transition ends up somewhere else in the siding but I like the cleaner look of starter strip and you don't have the J channel to collect water & dirt.

Don't forget to flash the top of your stone veneer to prevent water from getting behind it. And, don't forget a moisture barrier behind the stone since the masonry/mortar can wick moisture back to the wood behind.

I have no idea what a stone faced sill is?

Old 11-26-13, 10:31 AM
Great that's what I thought but always best to double check. I wont forget about the flashing with drip edge or the moisture barrier (gonna use roofing tar paper).

Maybe Im calling the sill the wrong thing... The horizontal cap that separates stone from siding I thought would be considered a sill. Maybe decoratrive banding?
Look like this? Rock Face Sill and Banding | StoneRox

What is that called? It would make my search a lot easier if I had the right name. I thought it was just a stone sill that ran horizontally above the veneer?

Last edited by DannyK; 11-26-13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 07:00 PM
Why not look for the sill material at the same place you're getting the stone facing from? If they don't carry any (highly unlikely), they would know where you could get it.

Old 11-27-13, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Rock face sill was not available with the natural stone used on my house so I ran the stone up to a straight line and bent up copper gutter stock to form the flashing and stop decorative strip over the stone.

Old 12-02-13, 09:58 AM
Thank you guys for your ideas and advice.
The reason I cant get the ledger or rock faced sill is the amount I need is under the companys "minimum order size," by $1200.