Replace Crusty Felt in Expansion Joint

Old 12-21-13, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Crusty Felt in Expansion Joint

I want to rip out the crusty felt in the expansion joint between my house foundation and the concrete driveway. I would like to use something more waterproof. What is best. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Normally, it is replaced with foam backer rod pushed partially into the joint, then it is filled with a quality caulk. You will get better choices from a building supply company. I can't give you any name brand recommendations...sorry.

Old 12-21-13, 01:32 PM
The best product out there is a 2-component silicone rubber made by Dow-Corning. Called 902-RCS, it's been around for close to 30 years, and is on approved product lists of many state DOTs. For a typical residential driveway installation, buying the small sausages, hand crank installation gun and a few mixing nozzles would be the way to go. And don't forget the backer rod.

If you choose to go a less-expensive route, just pay a visit to your local masonry supply place. They will gladly tell you which polyurethanes are the best performers for your climate. I've been out of active joint installation work too long to give you any current product names--the major construction supply manufacturers are constantly evolving, with a lot of buying/selling/product name-changing going on.

Old 12-22-13, 08:15 AM
i'd dig it out w/screwdriver to the correct depth & install 100% silicone ( dow 888, 888sl, or equal ) instead,,, don't need backer rod as it just gives shape factor & sealant depth,,, the 902's self-leveling, cold-applied, rapid-cure, two-part, easy-to-install, ultra-low-modulus, 100 percent silicone rubber sealant designed to seal expansion joints that experience both thermal and/or vertical movements due to traffic loading - more for bridges & parking decks altho we're never used the mtl instead of 888

just did a condo HOA's driveways w/GE's 100% silicone - work'd fine,,, your biggest issue's CLEAN sidewalls for good adhesion - install no more than 3/8" thickness so if you remove the exp jnt mtl to 1/2", that'll allow 3/8" + protect sealant from traffic

caution - we'd NEVER use caulk !