Water showing on inside corners of 2 exterior doors

Old 12-29-13, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water showing on inside corners of 2 exterior doors

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but i'm after some help in identifying what the cause of these leaks are likely to be.

We bought a new house (MJ Gleeson, UK) nearly 2 years ago. We have had various teething problems such as shrinkage cracks and taps not working properly etc, but what is happening now is starting to test me.

In our kitchen / dinning area, we have the back door and a set of french doors. About a year after we moved in, we decided to replace the cushion floor which was laid by the builder as part of the deal, due to a large damp area which protruded approx 80cm in an arch from both back and french doors, underneath the cushion floor. I went to fetch the site manager to tell him, who got on his hands and knees himself with a water and bleach solution to clean it away. His answer as to the why the damp was there, was that the house had probably not dried out properly when the flooring was laid. The new floor went down and that was that.

About 8 weeks after the new floor had gone down we noticed a wet area around the back door, but on top of the cushion floor. We lifted it up around the door and french doors, and again were greeted with large damp areas, but with visible water as opposed to just dark floor that had been damp previously. After a while of complaining to the builder, they came around to try to fix the problem. They took about 6" of the plaster board out at the bottom of each side of both doors, where they tried to re-lay the DPC. They then filled it all back in and plastered etc... now after a good rain showing on Christmas Eve, we checked on the floor again and voila... WET, again.

My brother is a builder with about 35 years experience, so I got him up to have a look. He did a few tests with water in the door frame, but all the drainage holes were working perfectly, so he couldn't say what the problem was.

I think its something to do with the brick work as opposed to leaking doors... but I don't really know anything about building or brick laying... or anything to do with building a house really!!

I have attached a few photos to show what I am on about.

Any ideas on what the cause might be would be greatly appreciated, just so that when a rep comes around, I have something to throw at them in terms of a cause.

Thanks!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-13, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your door set up is quite different than those we encounter in the US, so bear with us a little. Since you have a suspicion the water is infiltrating from the brick, could you post a few pictures of the outside of the unit? Especially the top of the door (not close ups, please) would be helpful. Bottom, threshold area from outside, too.

Old 12-29-13, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main problem is the slab outside that door was pored to close to the threshold.
It needed to be at least 5 CM below any wall openings.